Monday, October 11, 2010

Jeremiah was a Stretch Mark

Well, I was going to treat everyone to some videos of my daughter... However, her dad vetoed that plan. If you would like to lodge a formal complaint you can flood his comments on his blog at www.grapebeans.blogspot.com . Maybe a passive aggressive protest will help him change his mind :)

As I was doing my usual after bath post mortem in the mirror, I realized what I needed to talk about today. In all my years of sex ed and health education I was never told all the unpleasent things that occur from being pregnant. No one ever told me that there was a strong possibility that I'd end up with stretch marks all the way around my belly. I wasn't informed that my days of wearing a bikini would be over before I was even able to legally vote. Young girls who are more educated about all aspects of pregnancy would probably be more likely to either not have sex or at least be more careful. Teachers tended to focus on the horrifyingly gross side effects of STDs and STIs which is all well and good and it does encourage condom usage but not birth control usage. Condoms are very effective when used properly but a vast number of people (young and old) don't know the proper way to use a condom (surprisingly). Condoms aren't 100% effective even when used completely right and can break as well. I think more girls need to be informed about all the birth control options and use both birth control and condoms if they decide to actually have sex. When I was in middle school and high school there was no way I was ever going to broach the subject about birth control with my mother because she'd automatically assume I was having sex and I really wasn't. (at least not until well into high school) Hell, my mom and I never even talked about sex. When I was in either fifth or sixth grade she gave me 2 books on puberty and that was it. One of those books covered sex but I can't remember if it even talked about birth control and it surely was not a substitute for actually talking to an informed human being. A lot girls in America have a similar situation with their moms. We love them, it's just really hard to talk to them about some things with out it seeming like we're actually doing them instead of just wanting to be educated. Not to harp on stretch marks, but if my books or anyone had told me about them I probably would have been even more vigilant. I already have scars on my back and one on my knee that I'll most likely have for the rest of my life. Now I have a Freddy Krueger stomach to match and a scar from Violet being born. We hear stories and see on TV where they talk about how you'll poop yourself during labor but what I never notice anyone talking about is how during the crowning, you'll likely get tearing and some doctors even preform an episiotomy which is where they make a surgical incision on the lower vaginal area. After birth they stitch you up. I think that'd do a pretty good job of scaring most teenage girls away from having sex until they're ready to have a baby. We should show Ricki Lake's birthing video or the video of the women giving birth in the Black Sea. Any birthing video would do though. I would show mine around, but too many people would probably find it hilarious since I say "I just need to poop" at least ten times and you can't see anything since we only had enough people to hold my legs and feed me ice and not enough for someone to hold the camera. Remember to flood www.grapebeans.blogspot.com with comments so you can watch gems like that. :)

2 comments:

  1. Love this post!! I have one of those Moms that would not talk about sex either, she was awesome in every other way just couldnt bring herself to talk about it. I vowed to be open with my kids, no matter how hard it is to hear my child say the word sex! I believe strongly that if a child is allowed to talk about, ask questions they have about it, and be told all the facts they will be far less likely to go "out in the field" to find those answers themselves. Good for you for bringing this up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Women may get these stretch marks during pregnancy, however men can also get stretch marks especially if men are obese or body builders. Many people take steroid containing skin cream, these people can also get stretch marks. Solange

    ReplyDelete